August 23, 2019 3:30 am
The funeral for Rina Schenrav was scheduled for 3.30PM in the Lod cemetery.
BY ANNA AHRONHEIM AUGUST 23, 2019 15:53
A teenage girl was killed and her father and brother were seriously injured on Friday in an explosion near a natural spring near the Israeli settlement of Dolev in the West Bank in what the military is calling a serious terror attack.
IDF Spokesperson Brig.-Gen. Ronen Manelis called the attack “a serious terror attack” and said that the military is still not sure if the explosive device was thrown at the family or if the device had been planted in the stream and remotely set off.
Manelis said the military had still not determined if the terrorists, who fled the scene, acted as part of an established terror group or were working alone.
Rina Shenrav, 17, of Lod, was critically wounded in the attack at Ein Bubin spring and was treated at the scene before succumbing to her wounds. Her funeral was scheduled for 3.30PM in the Lod cemetery.
This is 17-year-old Israeli Rina Shenrav, who was murdered in this morning’s Palestinian terror attack in the West Bank. May her memory be a blessing and may her brother and father, wounded in the attack, have a full and speedy recovery.
Her father Eitan Shenrav is said to be conscious and in moderate condition while his 19 year-old son is out of surgery and stable with injuries to his entire body. The two men were evacuated to Hadassah Ein Kerem for medical treatment by helicopter while the Rina was treated on the spot.
According to reports, Eitan Shenrav received a commendation during his reserve service when he thwarted a terror infiltration by two armed Palestinians in the West Bank.
Prime Minister and Defense Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a security consultation following the attack and said that he was receiving constant updates on the search effort and would meet soon with the commanders of the country’s security forces.
Offering his condolences to the family, Netanyahu said that the perpetrators of the attack will be caught.
“We will continue to strengthen [Jewish] communities. We will spread our roots deeper and strike out at our enemies. Security force are in pursuit of the vile terrorists. We will reach them. Our long arm will pay them their dues.”
Large number of security forces were deployed to the area as reinforcements. The Head of the Central Command Maj.-Gen. Nadav Padan, the division commander and other senior commanders are in the field conducting a situational assessment, the IDF said adding that blockades were also placed in the area as troops searched for the terrorist who is believed to have fled the scene in a white car.
In addition to the reinforcements, the military is working with the Shin Bet security service and the Israel Police to locate the attackers.
“The army is dealing with attempted terror attacks, with lone-wolf assailants and with terror cells,” Manelis said, adding that there has been an increase in terror activities and violence in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
According to Manelis, the reinforcement of troops were also deployed in a defensive maneuver to prevent any additional attacks.
Following the attack residents of Dolev were asked to remain in their homes.
While no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, Hamas praised the attackers saying that “today’s operation is proof of the vitality of our people and their bravery and their failure to surrender to the crimes and terrorism of the occupation.”
Hamas politburo chief Ismail Haniyeh said that the attack was a warning to Israel to stay away from the “powder keg” that is Jerusalem.
“I welcome today’s operation, and although I don’t know who carried it out, I support them and wish them safety. The operation is a warning to the occupation concerning Jerusalem and Al Aqsa,” he said in a statement.
Describing the West Bank as a “volcano that will erupt,” Haniyeh said the group “warned Israel not to hold this election campaign at the expense of our historic right as the Palestinian people.”
Source: Jerusalem Post