YERUSHALAYIM — The Shin Bet says it has foiled an attempt to carry out a shooting attack in Yerushalayim by two Palestinians from Rafah under directives of the Gaza Strip-based Popular Resistance Committees.
The two, Iman Yosef Khalil Zakot and Mohammad Zabri Aram, were under covert surveillance at all stages of planning and were exposed before the attacks could be carried out.
In a statement, Israeli authorities said that Zakat and Aram worked to recruit young terrorists.
The arrests joined the thwarting of additional attacks that the Gaza-based terror group has sought to carry out in recent months.
The thwarting of the attack in Yerushalayim follows the arrest of two Palestinian brothers last month who were suspected of having been recruited to carry out a bomb attack in Israel. An investigation revealed that the two were instructed to carry out various terrorist actions, including the possession of a weapon destined for terrorist activity against Israeli targets.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Shin Bet said that they consider the terrorist organization Hamas to be responsible for all terrorist activity originating in the Gaza Strip.