This one’s for you, 90’s kids: a total of 36 Toys R Us locations will open in California, with more across the U.S.
By Maggie More
If you missed the sight of a particular anthropomorphic giraffe, good news: Toys R Us has started to open in-person shops inside of a number of Macy’s stores across the U.S., with more brick-and-mortar locations on the way.
At least 36 of those stores are in California, according to the Macy’s website.
The iconic toy store chain had filed for bankruptcy back in 2017, leaving toy-buyers who didn’t want to grow up without their playground.
But the toy retailer hovered in the background, trying to make comebacks and partnering with other retailers to keep the spirit of the store alive.
The partnership between Toys R Us and Macy’s, announced in August of 2021, seems to be paying off.
“In Macy’s reported earnings for the first quarter of 2022, toy sales were 15x higher than the comparable period prior to the Toys”R”Us partnership,” Macy’s said in a statement released in mid-July
Beginning late July and rolling out through Oct. 15, several Macy’s stores in flagship locations will open “in-store shops” for the Toys R Us brand.
The in-Macy’s toy stores will range in size from 1,000 to 10,000 square feet, according to the statement. They may also increase in size as the stores prepare for the busy holiday shopping season.
The first shops will appear in flagship stores in a number of major cities, including one in Los Angeles.
Other locations include Atlanta, Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, Miami, New York and San Francisco.
The re-opening celebration doesn’t stop with the stores alone. Visitors will also be able to participate in “nine days of in-store events, beginning October 15 through October 23, which will include family friendly activities and daily giveaways,” the statement read.
Barbie, LEGO and other toy brands will take part in the giveaways.
And, of course, you can take a photo with toy store icon Geoffrey the Giraffe, during the “life-size “Geoffrey on a Bench” photo opportunity for families.”
Here’s the full list of the Macy’s stores in California with already-open Toys R Us shops, according to the Macy’s website.
- Shoppes At Carlsbad in Carlsbad
- Los Cerritos Center in Cerritos
- Chula Vista Center in Chula Vista
- Serramonte in Daly City
- Downey Stonewood Center – Downey
- North County Fair (Ca) – Escondido
- Fresno Fashion Fair – Fresno
- Shops At River Park – Fresno
- Montclair Plaza – Montclair
- Plaza Bonita – National City
- Antelope Valley – Palmdale
- Stanford (Ca) – Palo Alto
- San Bernardino Inland Center – San Bernardino
- Fashion Valley (Ca) – San Diego
- Oakridge (Ca) – San Jose
- Hillsdale (Ca) – San Mateo
- Santa Ana Mainplace – Santa Ana
- Stockton Sherwood – Stockton
- Visalia – Visalia
- Walnut Creek Broadway Plaza – Walnut Creek
- Westminster (Ca) – Westminster
These other California locations will be open by Oct. 15:
- Newport Fashion Island – Newport Beach
- Century City (Ca) – Los Angeles
- West Covina – West Covina
- Roseville Galleria – Roseville
- Sherman Oaks Fashion Square – Sherman Oaks
- Fairfield Solano – Fairfield
- Arden Fair – Sacramento
- The Shops At Montebello – Montebello
- Brea (Ca) – Brea
- Burbank Town Center – Burbank
- Glendale Galleria – Glendale
- Del Amo Fashion Center – Torrance
- Topanga – Canoga Park
- Santa Anita – Arcadia
- Sacramento Downtown Commons – Sacramento
For the full list of Toys R Us shops across the U.S., click here.
Source: KNBC News