Whoopi Goldberg has once again apologized for her comments claiming that the Holocaust was “not about race.” A rep for the 67-year-old provided a statement to The NY Post on Tuesday, just days after a recent interview in which she reiterated the same Holocaust slur that got her suspended from “The View” last February.
“My best friend said, ‘Not for nothing is there no box on the census for the Jewish race. So that leads me to believe that we’re probably not a race,’” Goldberg had told the Sunday Times of London.
In her new statement, she attempted to clarify that she was simply referencing her past hurtful remarks, not “doubling down” on them.
“Recently while doing press in London, I was asked about my comments from earlier this year. I tried to convey to the reporter what I had said and why, and attempted to recount that time,” Goldberg began. “It was never my intention to appear as if I was doubling down on hurtful comments, especially after talking with and hearing people like rabbis and old and new friends weighing in.
“I’m still learning a lot and believe me, I heard everything everyone said to me. I believe that the Holocaust was about race, and I am still as sorry now as I was then that I upset, hurt and angered people. My sincere apologies again, especially to everyone who thought this was a fresh rehash of the subject. I promise it was not.
“In this time of rising antisemitism, I want to be very clear when I say that I always stood with the Jewish people and always will. My support for them has not wavered and never will,” she ended. NY Post